The Central European History Society supports doctoral candidates and recent PhDs undertaking research. Support is intended primarily for travel to Central Europe to access relevant sources. Grants may be awarded up to $4,000.
- Most recent recipients of CEHS research grants (2022).
- Prior recipients of the CEHS research grants.
The following information applies to the 2023 grant cycle, for which applications are now being accepted until January 15, 2023.
The Central European History Society (CEHS) seeks applications from North American doctoral candidates (ABD) and recent PhDs (up to three years after completion of degree) in Central European history for travel and research grants up to $4,000. Funds are intended to support dissertation research and follow-up research, and may be used for travel between 1 April and 31 December 2023.
Applicants should be members of the Central European History Society at the time of application. Membership in CEHS is automatic with an individual subscription to the journal Central European History ($27/print edition and $17/digital edition annually for graduate students; $42/print and $32/digital for others. Visit https://www.cambridge.org/core/membership/cehs to become a member.
The following materials are required, and should be combined into one PDF and e-mailed to CEHSGrants@gmail.com:
- Statement of Purpose (1000-word limit), including a project title, a succinct summary of the project and its scholarly contributions, as well as a cogent explanation of how the proposed research fits into the larger research project. If the application is a resubmission, the narrative should indicate in which ways the project has advanced since the previous application.
- Curriculum Vitae (with a clear indication of the applicant’s preferred mail and email addresses)
- Budget Statement, totaling no more than $4,000, which should estimate and itemize costs for all planned expenditures (broken out into categories, e.g. foreign transportation, local transportation, lodging, copying, etc.), in keeping with the planned itinerary.
The application and one (1) letter of reference (which the recommender should e-mail directly to CEHSGrants@gmail.com) must be received by 15 January 2023. Applicants are advised to give their recommender several weeks’ notice of their need for a letter.
For further information or inquiries about the grants (but not to submit applications), please contact the Executive Director of CEHS, Anthony Steinhoff, at firstname.lastname@example.org.